Friday, October 31, 2008

Evangelicals and a Golden Calf

A friend sent me a link to a blog post showing Christians praying at a statue of a golden [calf]. The irony is terribly sensational.

Now the idea of laying your hands on a person and praying for them is not foreign to the Bible. But laying your hands on a statue... a golden bull at that! There is a reason why the Second Commandment says: "Though shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt no bow down thyself to them, nor serve them..." (Exodus 20:4,5)

Grant it, they were not praying at the bull, but for the economy, but still, no matter how I look at that picture, I cannot help but shakes my head.

3 comments:

morbidneko said...

Seriously, though. What are these people thinking?

I mean, if you can't follow the 10 basic rules, why would your prayers be answered?

It's almost like I wanna go out there and shake 'em!

Prophet Kangnamgu said...

Every time I see this picture I try to remind myself that they are not really worshipping the Golden Calf, they are actually praying to God for the economy... but the symbolism is just too striking. Did they have to put their hands on the beast?!

Mary-Jane said...

I find this so extremely ironic...