Monday, October 20, 2008

Death of a President's Bodyguard

About a month ago the ruling political party in South Africa requested the then president, Mr Thabo Mbeki, to resign as president. He complied with hardly a complaint. Everyone was surprised at how smoothly the transition went from Mbeki to Mothlante.

What is not focussed on is that Mbeki's closest bodyguard was murdered three days before the ANC requested Mbeki to step down. The bodyguard, who had served Mbeki for 13 years, was shot dead in his bedroom. His wife was left unharmed and nothing was stolen. An assassination?

No wonder Mbeki immediately accepted the request to resign.

Below are two news reports(and the only two South African reports I could find). Why is the media so quiet about this?

Mbeki's Bodyguard Executed?
Mbeki Bodyguard Murder Unsolved

1 comment:

morbidneko said...

that's a bit hectic. I had no idea...

Lekota's bodyguard was kidnapped a couple days ago. I don't know what the story is exactly, but he was returned safe and sound.

I don't know what democracy is coming to when these kinds of tactics are employed.

I wonder if it's time to get. me. a. gunn.

(for self-protection, of course!)