Sunday, March 22, 2009

CCTV Game

Starting tomorrow I'm going to begin to play a new game. I'm going to attempt to avoid being captured by CCTV cameras. Where I cannot avoid them, I'm going to use hats and baseball caps and other types of manoeuvring, turning away and covering up, to avoid unnecessary photos taken of me.

It is not that I'm camera shy, having anything to hide or suffer from major paranoia -- I am, however, against societies turning into Big Brother conglomerates and don't want to be a blind drone, mindlessly following the stream. There's not much I can do about it, I know -- but at least I can play the game, fully aware that it exists.
The past several years has seen a dramatic increase in CCTV surveillance of public space. Video cameras peer at us from the sides of buildings, from ATM machines, from traffic lights, capturing our every move for observation by police officers and private security guards that often act with very little public or legislative oversight. While the effectiveness of these devices in reducing crime is dubious at best, recent cases of misuse by public and private authorities serve to question the appropriateness of video monitoring in public space. [From i-See.]
We just don't know how often CCTV surveillance is abused -- with any of us being potential victims.

Instead of it bothering me too much, I'm going to make a game of it and turn "normal" outings into "extraordinary" cloak-and-dagger events. Who's joining in?

3 comments:

morbidneko said...

That's not really something I've noticed here in the town I live in. And, you sort of get used to the cameras at the office.

The most difficult thing, I suppose, is to make sure you're not doing anything embarrassing in front of the cameras, like pick your nose, or adjust your undergarments.

The husband and I rented a pretty scary movie this weekend, by name of Eagle Eye. Basic premise is that terrorists take over the CCTV and other electronics like cellphones to do their terrorism.

What's scary, is that it's so plausible!!

Prophet Kangnamgu said...

Yeah, the misuse of CCTV cams are definitely a documented problem -- so it being used for terrorist acts is quite plausible, and scary.

For instance, enter the following into Google:

inurl:/view.shtml

Some are password protected, some are not. But if it could be so easy, just think what the bad guys could do...

Anonymous said...

I'm game. Been playing for a little while already, but not so drastic. Big brother can track my middle finger.

INFOWARS.COM - Long live the Republic!