Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Christian God

“Christians,” writes my friend recently, “can never grasp how great God really is.”

And for a moment I wanted to take offence at his blanket statement. If not Christians, who? Buddhists? They are historically atheists and therefore teaches nothing about God. Pantheists? They limit God to this creation; I can learn more from mathematicians and physicists about God’s greatness than I can from pantheism. Where should I turn if I want learn about God’s greatness? Honestly, there is no greater God than the one that created everything out of nothing - ex nihilo. And which other religion can teach me about true unselfishness - true love - if not Christianity as demonstrated in the life and teachings of Christ?

But then I remembered again where my friend is coming from. His idea of “Christians” is the same one I feel distanced from. That nominal mainstream Christianity of today, founded more on cultural preference and political disposition than on divine inspiration. It is because of them that I feel uncomfortable calling myself a Christian.

That god - the one proclaimed by nominal mainstream Christianity - the one that tortures people throughout eternity, that arbitrary deity, that is not my god. Thank God (literally), that there are more views of God.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I understand what you mean. Many of the 'mainstream' churches that you mention have turned into self-help seminars and not scripture based studies and teachings of faith. It seems as though a lot of people going to these mega churches (more like rock concerts) are going as part of their social life and not necessarily their spiritual life.
I thought I got a message from you a while back that left an email address to continue discussions...I lost it. email me at aschmidt89@hotmail.com if you'd like.