Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tailor-made Spam

Just now I received an email from John Johnson. I’m friends with a John Johnson. Yahoo! has 316,000,000 search results for John Johnson and Wikipedia refers to at least twenty John Johnsons.

The email I received was not from my friend but from a “Nigerian” pretending to be John Johnson number 316,000,001 and hoping that I would help him with getting millions of dollars out of some deceased guy’s account, pretending to be a next of kin or something to that effect. You know those kinds of emails.

But that is not what’s bothering me. What’s freaking me out is how did “they” know to tailor the email by using the name of an acquaintance, ensuring that I would eagerly open the email? Who’s been reading my correspondences?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard about those South African scams on the net. Somehow they haven't gotten to my mailbox yet. Luck me! :O)